1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To combat forum spam, new accounts will need to make at least one (valid) post.
    Otherwise, we will periodically purge all users without posts or that haven't confirmed their account.

Zend Optimizer Not Installed...but it IS installed

Discussion in 'General Support' started by kidsvt, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

I've seen a lot of people struggling in the forums with the "Zend Optimizer Not Installed" error message for what seems to be a variety of reasons. Since I too received this message after having the calendar running fine for a couple of months after it's initial install, then "suddenly" we started receiving the Zend message, I thought I would post my follow-up in case anyone else has the same problem.

Our calendar is installed on a shared web host using an IIS web server.
    After digging through the Easy PHP Calendar forums and spending time with the web host's tech support and getting no where, I went back to the web host and had them escalate my support ticket to their "server team."

The server team quickly responded and told me that the latest version of Zend Optimizer IS installed, but since I have my own PHP.INI file in my root web folder, Zend Optimizer is not detected and therefore will not run. I must delete my PHP.ini file in my web root so the web host's server level default PHP.ini file will be used instead.

This may seem like an easy solution, but we actually have a very important need for having our own PHP.ini file in our web root, so our dilemma continues.
  2. Brian

Brian EPC Developer Staff Member

Have you contacted Zend to see if they offer a solution?
  3. How to disable Zend Optimizer?

Hi,

Here's the problem: our web site and Easy PHP calendar are installed in the same web folder at a shared web host on an IIS web server. The calendar is in a subdirectory called "calendar."

We have our own PHP.ini file at our web folder root level with settings that are critical to the web site working the way we want it to. Unfortunately, when we uploaded our PHP.ini file to our web folder, we started getting the "Zend Optimizer Not Installed" screen when trying to access our calendar. Our web host confirmed that although they have Zend Optimizer installed on the served, it is not detected if we use our own PHP.ini file.

Because our custom php.ini file is critical for us, we need to stop Easy PHP Calendar from trying to detect/run it, so my question is:

How can we disable the Zend Optimizer from trying to run in the Easy Calendar PHP?
  4. Brian

There is the option of using the ionCube version of the calendar instead of the Zend version.
  5. Thanks for the idea Brian, but I've seen a lot of people in the forums having problems with Ion Cube as well. I'd really rather not go through a whole install process, work through the problems, etc. I would much prefer to just, say, delete a line of code that calls the Zend Optimizer from within Easy PHP, or go into the Easy PHP configuration screens and check a box for "Disable Zend Optimizer." Can anyone help me out as to how to do either of those two things?

If not, if I HAVE to use Ion Cube, will I have to go through the whole Easy PHP Calendar configuration settings again, or will switching over to Ion Cube be transparent to our existing configurations and calendar data?
  6. Brian

Your server must support either Zend or ionCube in order for the calendar to work.

Run the tester script from the Free Download page to see if your server is compatible with ionCube. If so, download the recommended files then follow the upgrade instructions. This is a simple process and it will save all of your existing settings and database.
  7. ve9gra

ve9gra Support Team

You could always ask your provider for the lines that were added to their php.ini to enable Zend and add those lines to your php.ini....

Along the lines of
    Code:
    [Zend]
    zend_extension_manager.optimizer=/opt/Zend/lib/Optimizer-3.2.2
    zend_extension_manager.optimizer_ts=/opt/Zend/lib/Optimizer_TS-3.2.2
    zend_optimizer.version=3.2.2
    zend_extension=/opt/Zend/lib/ZendExtensionManager.so
    zend_extension_ts=/opt/Zend/lib/ZendExtensionManager_TS.so
    !! Do not use these lines on your server !! These were taken from my server and will not work with yours. Get those lines from your host.
  8. Yes, as stated previously, our server does support Zend, however the problem is that Zend can't be detected because we have our own PHP.ini file in our web root folder so the web host's PHP.ini file is not used.

I ran the tester and here are the results:

PHP Version Pass [Version 4.4.1]
    Sessions Support Pass
    Zend Optimizer Pass
    ionCube Loader Pass
    Testing Results: Successful! An ionCube Loader is already installed and run-time loading is unnecessary. Encoded files should load without problems.

I downloaded 2 ionCube files (EasyPHPCalendar.exe and Calendar.zip) though I'm not entirely sure what to do with them as the instructions on the php tester results page were kind of vauge.

Should I unzip the zip file and upload all of those files to a subdirectory in our web folder and then upload the .exe file to the same subdirectory then try to run the .exe file via a browser? The tester page refers to an "auto installer" and I'm guessing that really means the .exe file?

If I run the .exe file and enter the directory path as recommended, and if I upload the ionCube files to the same calendar subfolder where the Zend calendar is located, is the auto installer smart enough to update everything from Zend to ionCube? Or should I upload the ionCube files to a totally new, empty subfolder?
  9. Brian

10. Thanks for the link. I checked out the upgrade help page, but there isn't any mention of how to go from Zend to ionCube. I guess that wouldn't be considered an "upgrade" anyway.

Maybe I'll try what ve9gra suggested and ask our web host for their code. They didn't make the offer to give me the lines of code when I was on the phone with them, so I'm not sure they will, but it's worth a shot.
  11. Brian

It may not be an "upgrade", but you would still follow the upgrade instructions to convert to the other encoder version.
  12. We have the most current version already installed.

The "upgrade" instructions page says to follow the instructions based on whichever previous version you have, but we don't have a previous version, we have the current version. So should we just use the first set of "upgrade" instructions at the top of the upgrade page, or would it be better to use the manual INSTALL instructions that are in the help doc?

Since this is not really an upgrade, it would be nice if there were clearly worded instructions in the help doc about how to switch over from Zend to ionCube.

Another concern is that one of the steps in the upgrade instructions say:

"Upload the calendar.php, and all of the demo files files to the main calendar directory in ASCII mode"

I have already customized the demo file for our needs so uploading the new one would obviously overwrite the customized one. I assume the existing demo file is coded for Zend and the new one would be coded for ionCube, so the calendar probably wouldn't work if I uploaded all of the ionCube files except for the demo file.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing it wouldn't work if I tried to retain my existing customized demo file if I did the switch to ionCube? And unfortunately, the alternative is to use the ionCube demo file and have to start all over again to customize the demo file.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  13. Brian

You are doing an in-place "upgrade" of Version 6.3.x and should follow those instructions. (The x means any 6.3 version, including the most current).

These instructions are clearly worded, no matter what encoder/Zend/ionCube/version is being used.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.