1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To combat forum spam, new accounts will need to make at least one (valid) post.
    Otherwise, we will periodically purge all users without posts or that haven't confirmed their account.

Widget Based Site

Discussion in 'Wordpress' started by daddylogan, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok...I have read your tutorial and before I go doing the database over and all I need to know if this issue has been addressed before so I don't waste a bunch of time. I have a wordpress site I am doing for a client, and that client needs your calendar script involved into the site.

Now, I read your instructions on putting the calendar into the sidebar and I took a peek at my siderbar.php - The only thing is that this is a widget based sidebar and as soon as you drop in your first plugin widget, that overtakes the default sidebar content.

So...with that said, would I just drop in a "text" widget and enter the code into that where I want the calendar to appear??? Basically would I drag and drop a text widget to the "right-sidebar" and then when the text editor opens up, just paste in the code that calls for the calendar?

Also, just to make sure I am clear on this because I have read two different things now. First, upload WP to my site and create database...THEN upload the calendar files like NORMAL but use the same database as WP??? The reason I ask is because I did read one thread where you guys said to move the calendar root to the WP root folder so I am a little confused?

If you want to see any of my php files, let me know where to send them.

Also, how come it seems like alot of the WP threads are closed? Some of them seem closed before a full resolution is reached, at least to me the reader and customer...just curious because I do try to read all the threads before posting. :)

Oh...and BTW, the calendar script works on my server and is paid for with a licence.

Thank you

peace out,
    daddylogan
  2. ve9gra

ve9gra Support Team

The calendar doesn't support widget based sidebars (yet). I haven't worked out how to create a widget yet.

For the installation, read part 1. It is to be installed in your WP root. The thread you read where the client was told to move the calendar's folder is because they had followed old instructions that said to install in the wp-content/plugins folder. It's not really an issue, it's just that you'd have to adjust the paths to work.

The one thing you have to make sure is that you _have_ to use the same database as your WP installation. No ifs, ands or buts.

As for the threads being closed, it's a measure that had to be put in place to limit the amount of SPAM that has to be dealt with. Threads are automatically closed after 30 days (I think) of inactivity. We read all of the threads and respond to everyone that ask a question... if they don't come back to confirm that the fix worked, or if they don't provide the information that we require for troubleshooting, we can't help it.

And about your other post, asking for part 3, it is in the works, but I've run into issues on my dev machine and haven't had the time to fix it to keep working on the tutorial. With a new house and undertaking my third $100K project in one year at my day job (Exchange 2003 to 2007 migration, LCS 2005 to OCS 2007 R2 migration, and now Exchange 2007 to 2010 migration), I'm sure you can understand that time is in short supply. If you're really interested in customizing that install, contact me using the link in my signature and we'll keep this going via email - that might give me the opportunity to finish off part 3.
  3. Hi ve9gra

I tried to contact you by your contact form but it is not indicating that the form was sent so I am posting here to let you know that.

Anyhow I attached a notepad file for you here to read when you have time. It is the same as I sent you in your form.

If you wish to continue this privatley, my email is:

tilted29@prodigy.net

thank you :)

peace out,
    daddylogan

Attached Files:

4. ve9gra

ve9gra Support Team

I didn't get the email. It's possible that the verification code had expired before you submitted the form. You should get a confirmation (and the form disappears) when it sends successfully.

As for the text widget, that won't work. It's not parsing the code and simply putting the text on your page. You need to add this to the backend so that the code is actually executed.

Try the form again, no need for a long message, just a quick hi... I want to make sure it still works.
  5. Ok...I got it. I should have known that by looking at it, but with all this going on with godaddy and the WP install and the EPC install I lost track of things for a bit I guess.

I just tested your contact page and it worked. I don't understand how it could have timed out before because I just simply pasted what you saw in notepad into it which took all of about 30 seconds???

Well, I am going to try writing the code into a "copied" template now and see how that goes. I will post back as to it might help others :)

Thank you for your time...much appreciated :thanks:

peace out,
    daddylogan
  6. I just had to say that ve9gra was not only helpful, but the guy went and MADE a widget plugin for WordPress so now you can just drag and drop his plugin into any widget and it will work as long as you have your header.php of the theme you are using to include the code mentioned in his tutorials!!!!!!

Worked first time...that simple.

THANK YOU THANK YOU...YOU ROCK BRO

peace out,
    daddylogan
  7. ve9gra

ve9gra Support Team

You're welcome!

As for any others reading this, the widget will be made available once I polish it out a bit.

It certainly makes the sidebar installation much easier.... two lines to add to header.php and add the plugin. Gotta love simplicity! :)
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  8. I just finished from adding the calendar to my wordpress website as a page.

However, I need to put it in the sidebare too as a widget.

I see that you helped "daddylogan" on this issue, so could you please help me on that too?

Waiting your help please.
  9. I will help ya. Let me know your immediate needs in a PM and we will get your sidebar calendar going :)

peace out,
    daddylogan
  10. ve9gra

ve9gra Support Team

@cal_pro: please contact me using the link below and I will get you the plugin needed.

@dl: PMs are disabled on the forum. And I would appreciate you not redistribute my work. The plugin will be released officially to the general public soon.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  11. ve9gra,

I was just trying to help him and I was not going to redistribute your plugin. I was going to give him an alternative plugin that allows php code into a widget which I came across and basically does what needs to be done. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

peace out,
    daddylogan
  12. ve9gra

ve9gra Support Team

No harm done. I was just requesting that you not redistribute my work... Another helping hand on the forum is always welcome. If you don't mind, you could post the information you were going to provide to cal_pro... that way everyone benefits from it.
  13. Ok...here we go!

1) Download the attached zip file with the plugin.

2) Upload it to the plugins directory of your Wordpress site.

3) Go to your plugins page through your dashboard and ACTIVATE the php code plugin.

4) Now for whatever THEME you are using, go to that themes folder and find header.php

5) Open it up with a text editor (notepad) and place this code right before the </head> tag:

Code:
    <?php $CSS=1; require("calendar/calendar.php"); ?>
    Then in the same header.php file find where the <body> code starts and place this code right after it:

Code:
    <?php $OL=1; require("calendar/calendar.php"); ?>
    Ok...then SAVE.

Now goto your widgets section from the wordpress dashboard. You will now see that PHP CODE is a dragable widget/plugin.

Drag it over to your sidebar widget (or wherever you want to put it if your site is widget based) and drop it in. When the text editor opens simply add the following code:

Code:
    <?php require("calendar/calendar.php"); ?>
    Save and you are DONE!

It is that simple :)

peace out,
    daddylogan

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.