1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To combat forum spam, new accounts will need to make at least one (valid) post.
    Otherwise, we will periodically purge all users without posts or that haven't confirmed their account.

Strange install problem

Discussion in 'General' started by Bill Weinheimer, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Any help at all would be welcome. You may think I'd have it made since I host my own site but it ain't that simple. The site is running on phpNuke 7.6 with a mySQL back end database all from a SUSE Linux 9.3 platform. The PHP is version 4.3. I've downloaded the demo of EPC but I can't get it to work. The Setup manage refuses to start. The compatability tester said that I didn't have Zend Optimizer running. I went out to Zend.com and got the latest and greatest version for SUSE. The install script went well, moved my php.ini, created a symbolic link to my old one so old php programs should still work, etc. First sign of trouble was that when I ran the compatability script it still said I didin't have Zend Optimizer running. OK, I start looking for alternatives so I go to IonCube and get the loder file for my flavor of Linux and install that. Well, I'm not the worlds best typist so it took a while to get the syntax right in the php.ini file. I ran the ioncube-loader-helper.php script in a folder where other scripts successfully run and it tells me to install the run-time version of ion-cube loader in my php.ini. I do but it doesn't help. I realize most Americans are too busy partying today to give a hoot about this but if anyone has any ideas worth passing along I'd sure appreciate it.

This application sure looks like one of the best calendars I've ever seen and I'll be happy to pay the price for it if I can get it working as advertised. It seems to have everything I need, and a lot of things I didn't know I needed.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  2. ve9gra

ve9gra Support Team

I'm pretty sure I heard of the same kind of issue... Something about the security measures that SuSE implement for securing PHP. Basically makes it impossible to run Zend with the security enabled.

Found this thread - http://www.zend.com/forums/index.php?start=0&t=msg&th=5586 - and you can find several more by googling "zend optimizer suse"

I think your problem here might be SuSE and not Zend or ionCube... sorry.

PS: Search the forums here for suse as I'm pretty sure that there was at least one other customer with problems with suse.. I'm just not sure if he was able to resolve the problems.
  3. Thanks, I'm beginning to realize how non-standard SUSE really is. I've uninstalled Zend for now (as it appears from reading the other threads that some people have been able to successfully run the calendar with SUSE using the IonCube compilation but that doesn't apparently play well when Zend is around).

First chance I get I plan to get ahold of a spare server and put a version of a better supported distribution of Linux on it and port all of my web apps over to it. Funny I should have to say that since I believe Novell actually now owns Unix.

Anyway, at least I have something to work towards. I was sitting here thinking that I was going to have to tell the boss that there is this wonderful calendar for our company site, and it will do everthing we want, and it is almost free, but it won't run on our server.

Bill
  4. Just to let you know. I got things running (I think) by uninstalling Zend optimizer and just having ionCube loader in my php.ini file. Anyway I'm now in the setup manager. Thanks.
  5. Well, I guess we can say you can make EPC work on a SUSE box. It just takes a little more elbow grease.

Now all I have to do is convince the boss that it's worth the $$.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  6. ve9gra

ve9gra Support Team

So, just for future reference... what you had to do was uninstall Zend (or not install it in the first place) and have the ionCube loader referenced in the php.ini?
  7. Yep, leave Zend alone if you run Suse. Reference ionCube loader in your php.ini and the calendar works. I was off yesterday so I believe everything is still in one piece today. If so we will probably be sending you folks our credit card info later today so we can get on with it.

Thanks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.