1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To combat forum spam, new accounts will need to make at least one (valid) post.
    Otherwise, we will periodically purge all users without posts or that haven't confirmed their account.

repeating events with changing details and categories

Discussion in 'General' started by o4tuna, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. o4tuna

o4tuna New Member

I'm anticipating using Easy PHP Calendar in an educational context.

The classes repeat weekly have parameters that stay constant, i.e.
    Class: Basket weaving
    Time: every Tuesday at 7:00 p.m."

A class will have an assigned teacher, i.e.
    Class: Basket weaving
    Time: every Tuesday at 7:00 p.m."
    Teacher: Horatio Hornblower

But staffing being unpredictable, I need to be able to specify teachers on a class-by-class basis, too--overriding the teacher usually assigned to the class.

To further complicate matters, students plan which classes they will attend based on who is teaching the class. So it would be nice to be able to give students a feature that lets them view a list of upcoming classes that have been filtered by a teacher's name.

What would be the best way to approach this? Should I set up a category for teachers? Can I then set up a repeating event with a usual teacher and then alter the setting for its teacher-category on specific occurrences of the class?

If not, I can think of a less elegant but perhaps workable solution--manually typing in teacher names in the event description. But the same fundamental question still exists: can I vary the description of a repeating event for any given occurrence of that event?

2. ve9gra

ve9gra Support Team

There no way currently to modify an entry out of a series... You would have to delete the event on the date that needs modifying, and create a new entry.

The easiest way I think, is to use the option in the Event Manager to keep copying the details entered to a new form, but enter each event as a single event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.