1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To combat forum spam, new accounts will need to make at least one (valid) post.
    Otherwise, we will periodically purge all users without posts or that haven't confirmed their account.

looping setup problem as well

Discussion in 'General Support' started by petro, May 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petro

petro New Member

Hey all,

So i'm having the same looping problem on initial setup as others seem to have. I can never login. I have looked through just about every article on this topic, and i haven't been able to solve this myself. Here's my details. I can also PM someone my ftp info, just let me know to who.

escal v5.4 - just downloaded
    http://www.pinoir.com/escal/

php info:
    http://www.pinoir.com/escal/phpinfo.php

I've created a tmp directory in both the root folder of my site and in the escal directory. For some reason, my hosting provider will let me chmod files, but not directories via FTP, and i don't have shell access. Do the tmp directories need to be chmod'ed to something other than 755?

No cookies seem to have been sent to my web browser. I've tried two different browsers. I'm running MacOS X and tested w. both the safari and internet explorer browser.

I've chmod'ed both the config.inc.php and showCalendar.php files. I see that the config.inc.php file is being modified when i run the /escal/setup/install.php page, and it removes most of the content from the original php file. I've tried uploading new copies of both those files, and the same thing happens again.

Any other suggestions?
    thanks,
    -pete

2. Brian

Brian EPC Developer Staff Member

3. petro

petro New Member

not disk space problem

Brian,

First, i have to say i'm incredibly impressed with the support you give. From your quick response to me, and from reading all the threads, it's wonderful to see someone stand behind their product and customers as much as you do.

So i've got 50mb i can use on the web server, and i'm only using 2.2 megs right now, so i doubt that's the problem. Can you give me suggestions on how to debug this? logfiles, etc.

thanks,
    -pete

4. Brian

You are using an acceptable version of PHP so the only reason the file would not write correctly would be because of a file write error on the server. :confused:

You stated earlier that it removed most of the contents from the PHP file. Can you PM me what was left in the file?

5. petro

petro New Member

file sent & checking isp disk quota

I've PM'em the config.inc.php file to you. Also, i've sent an email to my ISP to get them to check disk usage of my site.

thx,
    -pete

6. Brian

Can you Pm me FTP access to your server so I can check this out?

7. petro

petro New Member

Acct Sent

I have no idea if a PM sends an email or some other notification, so i'm posting as well. Acct info was sent to you.

thx,
    -pete

8. Brian

It's very odd and the first time I've seen this, but the PHP preg_replace command isn't working correctly on your server and is causing this problem.

I'm still looking for a solution...

9. Brian

I think I've nailed it! :banana:

Give it a try and let me know.

10. petro

petro New Member

Almost there!

Whatever you did I think has solved it. So now i have to wait for my isp to chmod 777 the database folder. But I can now login and make every other change.

So what did you do? I'm assuming you made a change to the showCalendar.php file, and i should back that up. Did you make changes to anything else? Was it anything specific about the setup of my isp's servers?

Thanks!!!!
    -pete

11. Brian

If you don't want to wait for your host, just create blank file in the database directory with the name that's set in the Setup and Configuration Manager and chmod it to 646. That should get you going. ;)

My server uses the exact same version of PHP that you have and many other people as well. But something was strange about the way your server handed regular expressions. After a little digging, I figured out how to get around this problem. I had to change three files. So yes, I would backup what you have now. Version 5.5 will include this fix in case anyone else may experience this issue. :thumbs_up

12. petro

petro New Member

All good!

My ISP was quick to change the permissions. Everything works like a charm. Thanks for solving the problem on the same day (and even on a sunday!). You rock.

-pete

13. Brian

No worries! :)

It's all in a days work. :computer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.