1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To combat forum spam, new accounts will need to make at least one (valid) post.
    Otherwise, we will periodically purge all users without posts or that haven't confirmed their account.

Help with setting up flat-file database

Discussion in 'General' started by ALES, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALES

ALES Newbie Calendar User

Hi all, I hope someone can answer this for me. I am not an expert with this PHP stuff by any means, but am willing to learn how to get this to work! I am still using the trial version until I figure out that this will work for me and my questions are as follows: Which in your opinion is better? Using the SQLdb option or the flatfile option? Second, My hosting service supports use of SQL database, which I know because I've managed to setup phpBB2 forums. I know the name of my database, but when I get to the point to add a new table to this database 1) what name should I give it? Is there a name I should give it relative to the calendar code? and 2) my database setup wants to know how many fields to create? Should I leave that blank and if not, what number should I apply to this?

I tried the flat-file option but even though I set up a user name and password and renamed my textfile to what I wanted, it didn't work for me. ??? Which is why I'm now going the SQL route. I hope you understand my question! Thanks in advance for responding!

A. Smithson :)

2. ALES

Figured out my own problem!

Just letting everyone know I figured out my own question. Thanks!

A. Smithson

3. Brian

Brian EPC Developer Staff Member

Great! I like those! :classic:

4. ALES

So much for figuring things out on my own!

Hi Brian, and thanks for peeking at my original post. While I was able to figure out my initial problem yesterday, I've spent hours trying to get his to show up on my page to no avail. Like I said, I'm not good at php or html for that matter. I use am HTML generator because of my serious lack of ability.

Answer this for me. If I would want just to be able to view the calendar on it's own page, shouldn't I be able to use the one provided during installation? Ex. /calendar/calendar.php?

If so, mine displays only as text. This is where it's at:

http://www.leavesonbranches.com/calendar/calendar.php

Maybe I should tell you that when I first downloaded the tester, all of it passed except for the last part. It said my hosting company had safe mode enabled. I've already asked them if they could remove it and their answer was "NO". SO I installed the Zend version of the trial.

Is this going to prevent me from being able to use your calendar?

Amy

5. Brian

Brian EPC Developer Staff Member

The calendar.php file should not be accessed directly.

Try linking to the demo.php file for the effect you're looking for.

Also, look in the instructions.htm file for the IMPORTANT section. This section will show you what you need to add the calendar to your own pages. :)

6. ALES

I've tried that too!

Hi Brian,

Thanks again for reading my post. Yes I read the IMPORTANT section, and have poured over the message boards trying things here and there, but with my limited knowledge of php and html, I haven't been able to get my calendar to show up yet.

I'm going to keep trying and if I still can't then I'll let you know and ask for more assistance. I really appreciate this great service! It's far superior to what you can get anywhere else!

I'm going to try to build my html page around the php code and see if I can get it to work. Wish me luck!

If I can get this to work, I plan on buying a copy for me, but also am working on a project where I could potentially buy 10 or more copies within the next year.

Thanks again!
    A. Smithson

7. ve9gra

ve9gra Support Team

Like Brian previously said, if you try accessing the demo.php included in the package, you should be able to see the calendar in its proper format with the themes applied and everything. Then you should be able to link to that page, or even modify the demo.php page to include your own HTML so the page integrates into your website better.

Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.