1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To combat forum spam, new accounts will need to make at least one (valid) post.
    Otherwise, we will periodically purge all users without posts or that haven't confirmed their account.

Force Calendar to Refresh?

Discussion in 'General Support' started by makeit, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makeit

makeit New Member

How can I make my calendar refresh each time it is loaded? It seems when I add new events to the calendar you don't see them without a page refresh. In addition, if I visited the calendar yesterday and then went back to it today, it would show yesterday as the current day when it should show today as the current day. My calendar is here http://www.nvorlando.com/calendar.htm.

The basic problem is that if a user visits my site today and sees our events and then comes back to it on a future day, they will only see the same events they saw the last time unless they refresh their browser. They shouldn't have to do this.

Thanks!

2. Brian

Brian EPC Developer Staff Member

Sounds like you have a browser/firewall/cache/internet issue.

Try it on another computer and see if you get the same results.

When you add an event, it's instantaneous and should show up immediately.

3. makeit

makeit New Member

Brian, thanks for the quick (immediate) response. :) I don't think this is an issue on just my computer though. I'm using an iMac with Firefox 6 but my operations manager for our club uses a Windows PC with Firefox and has the same issue. I'll add events and he always tells me we have no events on the calendar, then I have to remind him to refresh his browser. He wants to know why he has to always do this? :)

I also have another issue which I don't think is related but in the off chance that it is . . . Whenever I add a new event and save it, about 90% of the time, the page just sits with browser running and never returns to the main page where you can add another event. The only way for me to get back to that page is to clear my cookies. When it does this it IS adding the event to the calendar on my site, but just won't let me get back to the admin to add another event. This problem is the same on IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari and Chrome. I'm running your latest version too.

4. Brian

Are you on load-balanced servers?

When you add an event to the calendar, it's instant. If you're seeing a delay, there is something going on on the server end.

Are you using mySQL for a flat-file database?

5. makeit

makeit New Member

No load balancing, Flat-file.

6. Brian

Hmmm. I could possibly be a plugin you're using in your browser...

Try downloading a browser you have never used, like Firefox or Chrome, etc. Then try it with it. And disable any anti-virus/malware software you may be using.

7. makeit

makeit New Member

The only browser that I have plugins for is Firefox, all the others I mentioned with the same issue are standard downloads with no added plugins of any type.

8. Brian

Sounds like something on the server end then.

Just for a test, try the same thing on our demo page (adding events) and see what happens. It's just a standard setup using a flat-file database.

9. makeit

makeit New Member

Works perfectly on your demo using Firefox 6 on iMac which is what I normally use to add my events.

10. ve9gra

ve9gra Support Team

Some hosts use caching in order to minimize the server load... Some CMS also use caching and will cause the behaviour you're seeing.

Details are fuzzy but I seem to remember at least one other instance of this, and it was resolved by disabling the caching feature of the CMS, so some searching for "cache", "caching", etc in the forum might return some results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.