1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To combat forum spam, new accounts will need to make at least one (valid) post.
    Otherwise, we will periodically purge all users without posts or that haven't confirmed their account.

Existing site uses ssi--how to integrate

Discussion in 'General Support' started by Steven, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven

Steven New Member

Hello!

php/mySQL knowledge: novice

I just purchased version 5.5. I installed it and got it to work with a mySQL db.

Now, I'm running into problems trying to use it on pages on my existing website. The site is composed of .shtml pages which make use of server side includes (ssi) to insert the header, footer, navigation bar (js) etc. They also use an external css. (The reference to the css is contained in one of the included headers.)

Near the end of the escal installation instructions, it says that the page on which the calendar will be displayed has to have a php extension. (I really don't want to change the page name since it will break any existing links to the page.) For testing purposes, I changed it anyway but found that none of my includes (including the reference to the stylesheet) were processed.

Can anyone suggest an easy way around this? It seems to me that somehow the .shtml pages have to be parsed for both ssi and php.

Escal is such a nifty little item--I'd love to be able to make it work with my exisiting site, without a complete redesign!

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Steven

2. Brian

Brian EPC Developer Staff Member

I would check with your web host provider and see if it's possible to have shtml files parse as PHP files. This is generally accomplished through an .htaccess file.

3. Steven

Steven New Member

Hello!

Thanks for your quick reply.

I spent several hours yesterday trying to convert at least my calendar.shtml page to a .php page and leaving all the other pages on the site as .shtml. But it breaks too many things and I eventually gave up.

I e-mailed my ISP's tech support about parsing for php in a .shtml page. Here is the reply I received:

"I'm sorry but no, PHP cannot be parsed as shtml, nor can shtml be parsed as PHP. Making either change on our server would cause undue strain. Have you attempted referencing a PHP file in an SSI? PHP also has various ways to do SSI style includes."

In fact, I found out that you can edit .htaccess to cause .shtml files to be parsed for php. I tried it, but then it no longer checks them for server side includes! Not much use.

Then I tried using ssi to include the showCalendar.php file. The calendar appeared on the page, but without using its stylesheet formatting, and the nav links don't work. When I click on them, here's the message I receive:

The requested URL /hamiltonfolkclub/INTERNALLY GENERATED file-relative req was not found on this server.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure whether it's worth spending any more time trying to get this to work, or whether I should request a refund.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Steven

4. Brian

Brian EPC Developer Staff Member

Can you use PHP includes for your header, footer and navigation? That should be easy to do and will allow you to change the file to the PHP extension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.