1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To combat forum spam, new accounts will need to make at least one (valid) post.
    Otherwise, we will periodically purge all users without posts or that haven't confirmed their account.

Displaying from multiple categories

Discussion in 'General Support' started by glhasse, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glhasse

glhasse New Member

I'm going to be using the calendar for our local (small) Boy Scout council's web site. The site I've got this set up on is: http://www.twinvalleybsa.org/calendar. As often is the case in Scouting, this is entirely a volunteer effort, so the purchase of the software was out of my own pocket, and all work is done for free.

So far the calendar's working great. I showed it to the office staff today, and they were ecstatic - they can maintain the calendar themselves! I hope to convert from our old static calendar to this calendar within the next week or so. I especially like the fact that I can import the information from a spreadsheet into the mySQL DB when we do our yearly plan, but changes can be made easily and immediately.

However, there's a couple of things I'd like to do that I haven't been able to figure out yet. I've searched through the forum, but couldn't find an answer to these. Sorry if I missed them.

Question #1

I've set up category for council events, plus a category for each of the district's events. I'd also like a category for holidays.

I'd like to be able to display the council events separately, but also display the council events each time a single district is filtered for. I'd like to do the same with holidays. For example:

Filter on Council only - display Council & Holidays
    Filter on District #1 - display District #1, Council, & Holidays
    Filter on District #2 - display District #2, Council, & Holidays
    Etc.

Is this possible?

Question #2

I'd like to sort the event list by category. I tried to do this using the showCat variable (see http://www.twinvalleybsa.org/calendar/index1.php) but then the filter didn't work.

How is this list sorted today?

Thanks.

2. Brian

Brian EPC Developer Staff Member

1) Yes. This is from the instructions in the Customize/Command-line section:

$showCat="X";
    Filter the list of events by category "X". Use the Advanced Filter option of the Event Manager to construct specific filters. While viewing the Advanced Filter screen after executing a filter, at the end of the yellow Filter table is the code to add to the showCat variable to perform this filter operation in your own pages. It will appear like "1|4|7 or a|2|5|9". Add this just before require("calendar/calendar.php");

2) In the TOC mode, events are sorted first by the category (in the order the category was added in the Setup Manager), then by time and then alphabetically. There are plans to include a function to re-order categories, but it will probably be Version 7 (next year) before this is added.

3. glhasse

glhasse New Member

#1.

I was able to force a category or two on the page, but I want to make it dynamic using the drop-down filter and not have all the categories show all the time (like they do now in http://www.twinvalleybsa.org/calendar/index1.php) Is this possible? Can I change the function of the drop-down filter?

#2.

I would like it to sort by category for the entire month, not just daily. e.g. ALL events for the month for category 1, followed by ALL events for the month for category 2, etc.

Thanks.

4. Brian

1) There is built-in support for users to filter by the primary category using the filter plugin. Filtering by other category selections will require setup as described in the $showCat instructions. You can use this to create links with specific sub category selections to place on your page for users to click.

2) This is now a feature that is currently implemented.

5. glhasse

glhasse New Member

6. Brian

Didn't I see it doing that on your site yesterday?

7. ve9gra

ve9gra Support Team

You might want to reenable the "Display empty lines" so that all your small calendars at the bottom are the same size...

8. dan_cameron

dan_cameron New Member

Where is this?

9. Brian

The instructions are in Post 2 of this topic and in the instructions under command-line variables.

10. dan_cameron

dan_cameron New Member

That doesn't answer my question.

Where do you find the Advanced Filter option of the Event Manager.

I'm looking in the event manager and I see nothing to the effect.

Everything says:
    but I don't see that anywhere.

11. Brian

Sorry. After looking back now, I didn't relize you'd hijacked this thread.

Instructions for viewing the Advanced Filter in the Event Manager:

1) Log into the Event Manager.

2) Click the Find / Filter Button

3) Click the Advanced link.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.