1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To combat forum spam, new accounts will need to make at least one (valid) post.
    Otherwise, we will periodically purge all users without posts or that haven't confirmed their account.

Criteria for new license key

Discussion in 'Installation / Upgrade Questions' started by topaz505, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am current moving servers for EPC and, a surprise to me, I needed to request a new license key.
    Would it be possible to state what criteria determine whether a new key is required ?
    Why not store these values explicitly in the license.php file, in addition to the order number ?
  2. ve9gra

ve9gra Support Team

Your license is based on a combination of your domain name and your IP address. If you are changing to a completely different host, it is likely that you will need to get your key reset. Once you've moved, simply click the [help] link in the error and follow the instructions.
  3. Grateful for any help !
    This is a partial answer: is it domain name AND IP address, or domain name OR IP address ?
    How is it possible to find out what values are being applied? (The online reset form produces no "trace", unlike an email.)

Specifically: my server is in a DMZ with a local IP address (a); the outside world addresses the server with a pseudo domain name (b) provided by DynDns. DynDns map this to a public ip address (c) to reach the firewall before the DMZ.
    Which of these three values a, b, c should I submit when doing a license reset ?
    Thanks.
  4. Brian

Brian EPC Developer Staff Member

You want to submit the address the public uses to access the site. And use that address when entering the license information.

What is the "trace" you're looking for?
  5. A trace:
    Simply this, when you send an email, what you have sent is (most often) stored in the Sent_Box; when you fill in a "web form", what you have sent simply disappears down the line.
    That is why I am arguing for the license key criteria values to be added to license.txt.
    Re my problem, I will follow your advice, thus address (b) in my previous post.
    Thanks Brian,
    topaz
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.