1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To combat forum spam, new accounts will need to make at least one (valid) post.
    Otherwise, we will periodically purge all users without posts or that haven't confirmed their account.

A Question About Session Save Path

Discussion in 'General' started by Mbytes, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm having difficulty installing the latest trial version. My site is hosted over at bluehost. I don't understand the concepts underlying session.save.path, and I'm having a looping problem upon trying to sign in; i.e., after entering my selected screen name and password I land right back at the sign in page.

I'm using PHP 5.2.6. The local and master values for session.save.path are set to "no value." My host points to the tmp folder in my home directory as the save path. So, I'm guessing its '/home/myusername/tmp' and my sessionPath.php file looks like this:

<?php
    session_save_path('/home/myusername/tmp'); // FULL SERVER PATH TO SESSION STORAGE DIRECTORY
    ?>

This hasn't resolved the issue and I'm feeling far out in left field on this one! Should I be shooting to set up a php.ini file in the tmp folder with the above path information? Is the sessionPath.php file even configured correctly?
  2. Brian

Brian EPC Developer Staff Member

Is the tmp directory there and does it have write permissions?

Do you see files in there?
  3. Yes, the tmp directory is there. I do see some folders and and their related files. e.g., two of the folders are associated with stats programs used to monitor site activity and others seem to contain other activity logs.
  4. The folder's permissions are set to: 7 5 5
  5. I tried signing in with the tmp folder's permissions set to 777, and I'm still getting the same outcome; i.e., looping back to the sign on screen.
  6. Brian

Brian EPC Developer Staff Member

What does your web host say about how to set it up (other than their FAQ which doesn't seem to work...)?

Every server is different and only your host would know exactly how to set up PHP sessions properly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.